Carriage Driving For Disabled Adults In Dorset

Saturday, February 03, 2007

Morning Exercise

Jenny on Felix.


This morning I was really excited, because today I went to Ash Tree Stables at Holton Lee and spent some of my time helping them to look after the horses they have there. When I got there I met Margaret and everyone else who helped out there and they were all really friendly. Then I was introduced to Charlie and Felix, two of the horses. I brought Felix into the yard after he had spent a night out in the field and Charlie, Maggie and Marmite were also brought in. We gave them their Breakfasts which were already waiting in their warm stables and then it was back to the field to do some poo-picking! (Not the nicest of jobs but very essential!) Once the field was clean we had a drink while the horses digested their breakfast. After that, I groomed Charlie and my mum, with some help, groomed Felix. Meanwhile John and Johnny filled hay nets and washed the buckets. Maggie was brought out and groomed too. At half 10 another girl called Ellie arrived and we set off on a ride, I was on Charlie and she on Maggie. This was an important part of the horses’ day, as over the winter they had had some time off, and so they needed to develop their muscles again before they could go back into driving. Despite the fact it is early February, the weather was beautiful, especially in the sun and as we set off into the beautiful woods, I just couldn’t help thinking how lucky I was! On arriving back at the yard Marmite had been brought out and groomed, so it was a quick changeover before we were off again, this time I was on Felix and Ellie on Marmite. This time we took a completely different route through the woods and again, it was gorgeous. When we got to the stables hayledge had been put into their field so we took all the horses back out into the sunshine to enjoy their lunch. At the stables there wasn’t much left to do… put away some tack and wash the bits, then after an exhilarating morning I headed home, knowing that I just couldn’t wait until next time when I could see Charlie, Felix, Maggie and Marmite and all the helpers at Ash Tree again!

Posted by Jenny

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home