Carriage Driving For Disabled Adults In Dorset

Saturday, June 16, 2007

Fund Raising Cake Sale.

Claudia & Jenny, fund raiser supremos

Claudia & Jenny agog at the amazing support of their classmates.
Coral & Beth prepare to visit the science block.

I first got involved with East Holton through a friend's mum, she came down to Ash Tree Stables some Fridays, and sometimes stayed at the barn (which is now being renovated). Just after Christmas she phoned me and said that Margaret Newell was looking for some riders to exercise 4 horses at the stables, to build their fitness up after having the winter off.

I at once jumped at the opportunity, it was something I had always wanted to do – looking after horses! The fact I would get the occasional chance to ride them was a fantastic bonus! When I came down to Holton Lee for the first time my mum and I were amazed – we had no idea that such a beautiful, undisturbed place could exist so near to a main road, and so near to us! When I arrived, Margaret made me feel welcome and showed me the horses.

I pooh-picked the field while marvelling at the glinting frost that covered the ground. It was spectacular! That day I rode Charlie for half an hour and then Felix, and I instantly fell in love with the place!

Since then I have been coming as much as I can, juggling Ash Tree Stables with my riding lessons in Verwood. Earlier in the year I invited one of my friends from school, and she too was delighted to help out along with my Mum, who now helps out one day each week on Tuesdays or Thursdays.

As the EHDC (East Holton Driving Centre) is a charity Claudia and I both knew they relied on donations so we decided we were going to so some serious fundraising – we hope to raise as much money as possible, both determined to help in a big way.

With the backing of our form there are at least 25 eager, enthusiastic fundraisers so it should be good fun. A few weeks ago Claudia and I came up with a great idea. There are often cake sales at our school so we decided to do our own. It was so exciting! I also put together a lucky dip, which turned out not to be as popular as the cakes, but we sold most of it anyway.

When I got to school on the day of the sale it was amazing, so many people had brought cakes! I was pretty confident that this was going to be the biggest cake sale ever! My friends Coral and Beth had a great idea – they would carry a tray of cakes around to the teachers in the science department and other classrooms upstairs to boost our sale – and it worked! They had to frequently come back and get more cakes it was so popular.

Posted by Jenny Bolton.

Thanks to the enterprise of Jenny and Claudia and their friends the cake sale raised a staggering amount in excess of £130.00 - well done girls!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home