Carriage Driving For Disabled Adults In Dorset

Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Wagons West - Wyoming

Wally & Martin Driving. What a picture! Photo by Colleen Drury.

Resting Up - One Of The Six Wagons On The Trail

Wagons Ready To Roll! Wally in the driving seat.

Two 'pardners', Wally, and Martin (on Cindy,a Quarter horse), with 'the Colonel'


Wagons West Holiday for Martin Hiscocks by Wally Pitt.

Martin is a man who helps at East Holton Driving Centre. He has Cerebral Palsy and he is 47 years of age. Martin loves horses and has worked for us for the last 3 years. Martin and I have formed a friendship and Martin has opened many doors for me. Martin was invited to a reception at 10 Downing St., to meet Prime Minister Blair in December 2006 and Martin invited me to accompany him to help him along the way. I phoned the Adjutant of the Household Cavalry Mounted Regiment and was able to take him to see the horses combined with a tour of the barracks. Martin never fails to surprise me; this year he took part in a 5 km charity run raising £65 for the charity Mencap.


This year Martin wanted a holiday involving horses!From the selection he chose a Wagon Train in Wyoming based at Jackson Hole. He once again asked if I would go with him, to assist with travel arrangements and to help him with his money etc.and once again I said I would.


I would like to say a very big 'thank you' to all the staff from Wagons West for a holiday of a lifetime; the kindness to Martin by the Wranglers making it possible for Martin to ride every day, and for me to experience the driving of three different teams of horses during the week. We learned how they look after their horses, and manage the horse lines. Martin struck up a friendship with many of the Staff in the Chuck Wagon, Wranglers, Wagon Master, and Master of the Draft Horses, Tom Angle, with whom we spent many hours exchanging notes and experiences. Unfortunately the Teams were far too strong for Martin to drive; it is quite different handling a pair of draft horses from a folding aluminium chair on the rough trails, and crossing creeks with deep holes in them!


We had many laughs along the way on the first night. Having been told by Kay, the Wagon Master, not to sleep under the stars because of the Grizzly Bears and Coyotes that might either come around the camp or scare the horses causing them to gallop through the camp site!! Martin chose that we sleep in a tent. At four o’clock in the morning I went to the toilet and when I returned to the tent it had collapsed. I found a sparkled Martin walking round it. We made one quick attempt to resurrect it and failed. It was decided we would get the kit and poles out of it and sleep on top and take pot luck. Fortunately it was the warmest night of the holiday. We had no wet weather at all, but after the first night every morning the ground was white over with frost. Day time temperatures were in the 80 f.


One morning I sat on a log with Martin wondering if I was in heaven - we had 32 horses on the horse line, very warm temperatures, beautiful views of the Teton Mountains, the scent of the wild sage bushes and breakfast cooking what more can you want?

Martin and I shared a holiday of a lifetime, the journey, hotel room, and the tent, the love of horses, the wagon and the whole experience. I thank Martin for giving me this opportunity.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

  • I would like to tell all of you what a pleasure it was to have Martin and Wally with us on the wagon train. Their up-beat attitude was a fine addition that we all appreciated. We only wished they could have stayed longer.
    Thos. Angle
    Wagons West and Yellowstone Outfitters

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 1:52 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home