Carriage Driving For Disabled Adults In Dorset

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Jerry, Potential New Member of EHDC

On a Sunday afternoon, under leaden skies filled with showery rain, Jane, husband Steve and myself went to collect "Jerry", a handsome Marmite look-alike from his home in Winterbourne Zelston.

Emma Proudley and husband Andy have very generously offered Jerry on trial with a view to loaning him to the East Holton Driving Centre to work with our adults with varying disabilities.

This is a real blessing for us in that he comes complete with harness and a 4-wheel carriage that we can purchase if he fits in with us (there's really not much doubt in our minds already, even though we've not even seen him driven!!). The beauty of this arrangement is that we can have confidence in the arrangement because Emma and Andy live so close and their over-riding concern is that Jerry gets a suitable home and will be well cared for.

He will have a period of settling in and getting to know us in a paddock on his own before we let him join Marmite, Maggie and the mischievous Elfin. We can't wait to cement a close bond and friendship with Jerry.

 Loading under the watchful eyes of Jane and husband Steve
 Boxed up and ready to leave his home
 Jerry taking in his new surroundings at the Ash Tree Stables
Andy saying a sad au revoir
Next morning in the riding school paddock

Difficult as it is to lose a good friend, being so local does mean that Emma and Andy can visit, and even take Jerry out for a drive, which we hope they will do once he has settled in.

1 Comments:

  • Well done to all concerned in getting ‘Jerry’ just what is needed; it is good to see the ‘EHDC’ progressing so well… I gave it my best over a decade, it was my life… Until unkindly I had to move on to care for my wife, and deal with my own developing disability… You would think after all the time I spent trying to make the world and society more tolerant to disabled people it would be easy to accept being disabled myself… not the case and being a carer as well doubly difficult… I receive all the help available to me, both from the ‘Poole Borough Council’ for me, and the ‘Dorset mental Health Team’ for Denise… I want to thank you all for continuing my dream, and doing it so well… Continue the good work and hopefully at some stage in 2014… I will get down for a visit. Wally

    By Blogger Unknown, At 7:04 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home